In its purest definition, meditation refers to the way, the method, path or process by which one is led from within, to a universal center of calm awareness and inspired intuition.

Sometimes when I meditate I have a very specific goal or purpose that I am trying to achieve.  But I find it very useful if not completely necessary to spend a little time each day (even if it's only for a few minutes) in meditation to simply block out all of the noise in my mind, block out the past, block out the future and focus on the Now.  This allows for me to focus only on positive energy flow to cleanse both my mind and body.

There are literally hundreds if not thousands of different forms of meditation to choose from.  I personally  have a couple of dozens different methods that I use from time to time.  However, there are two methods that I try to use on a daily basis and find they work best for me as they are easy to do and don't require a lot of time to perform.

Candle Meditation:  This is a very easy form of meditation that only requires a few minutes each day to be effective but can be done for as long as you like.  All that is needed is a quiet comfortable place (I prefer a darkened room) and one candle.

You will want to be in a seated position (do not lay down).  And you want to be able to sit relaxed and comfortable.  Whether it is in a chair, on a couch, or on the floor or pillow.  As long as you can sit comfortably and not have to strain to maintain your seated position.

Next, position a lit candle directly in front of you at eye level or slightly below eye level.  You do not want to have to turn, twist or strain to see the candle.  Also, I use either stick or pillar candles rather than jar or container candles as I do not want the container to obstruct my view of the candle flame.

Now simply stare at and focus on the candle flame. Don't think about anything else.  The only thing that exists in the whole universe right now is you and the candle flame.  Whenever you notice your mind wandering and you start thinking about something else (and you will), don't get frustrated or upset.  Just focus back on the candle flame and let whatever thoughts you have gently float away.

The goal here is to be in a state of calm, relaxed peace where you are not thinking about what happened yesterday or what will or might happen tomorrow.  You are focused only on the right now and feeling the energy flow throw your body and mind with no expectations.

Now, this next part is optional but I usually end this mediation by running through a list of at least a few things in my life that I am grateful for.  This can be said aloud or silently in your mind.

Breathing Meditation: This method can be done anywhere, at any time and can be done standing up, in a seated position or even laying down. 

All you are going to do is focus on your breathing and just like in the candle meditation you are not going to think about anything else.  When your mind starts to wander then just focus back on your breathing and let those other thoughts gently float away.

Begin by inhaling through your nose slowly while silently counting from 1 to 8 in you mind.  When you reach 8, then do not inhale or exhale while you count slowly from 1 to 4.  When you reach 4 then exhale slowly through your mouth while you count from 1 to 8 again.  And again when you reach 8, do not inhale or exhale while you slowly count from 1 to 4.

Keep repeating this, inhale for a count of 8...hold for a count of 4...exhale for a count of 8 and hold for a count of 4.

Sometimes I find this method easier to keep my mind from wandering on other things because of the need to count as I am focusing on my breath.

And as with the candle meditation I usually end off this meditation by running through a list of at least a few things in my life that I am grateful for.

Another thing you could do with both of these meditations is to focus on something that you would like to manifest into your life, whether it be a new or better job, more money, love or better relationships ect.  This would be done at the end of the meditation after you go through your list of things in your life that you are grateful for.

However I would not recommend that you include the manifestation of your desires into these meditations when you first start out.  You want to first get used to creating a positive energy flow and releasing the negative energy.  And you want to learn more about how to attract your desires into your life without focusing on or giving energy to the lack of those desires, otherwise you will do more harm than good.  I will be talking more about this in an upcoming article.


If you like this article, please share it to your favorite social network

Categories:

1 comment:

  1. I recently took up meditation. great read thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Follow me on Twitter!